Thanks to Marian Stubenitsky
I was inspired bit Marian’s book on Echo & Iris this past year. I needed a cover for my stereo cabinet which sits in front of the window in the living room and I had made one in December of 2021 for my daughter-in-law which turned out well. I changed the draft a bit (8Shaft Turned Taquete & echo) and figured it couldn’t be any harder than the first one I did and proceeded to wind the warps.
The warp called for Brassard’s chenille (1,450 yards per pound ) alternating with 8/2 cotton (3360 yards per pound). My first project using these yarns I wound two separate warps-one for chenille and one for cotton. It used two sets of lease sticks so I could tension the warps separately on my back beam. A second back beam would have been useful here but I did not have that option.
The warps wound on rather well and I was able to weave my runner successfully. It was slower than usual but worked.
That’s when I decided to combine the “challenge” for this year with this technique. Things to remember: It’s easier to do a 16” piece on my Baby Wolf than a 24” piece. I had to add heddles as well since I had 718 ends to thread. The warp was more difficult this time. While only 3 yards long it was almost the width of my weaving and the ends were packed together since the sett was 30 ends per inch. My warp sticks were 27 3/8” long. Seemed long enough until you dealt with the bulk of the warp. I only had 3/4” on each side of the warp which wanted to wander off and I had to keep it under control.
Once the warp was on I could see there were loose threads in the back. Figured I would weight them as I went. I slayed my reed with one chenille & one 8/2 cotton per dent. It was tight but worked. In fact the back of the loom had lots of weights to keep the tension but because the ends in the reed were so tight it kept the ends from moving much. I actually had a decent shed but I had to check often to be sure ends were not loose and catching in the shed. The good news is I only needed one weft yarn to weave the piece—8/2 cotton.
It was definitely a challenge but the results I am happy with. Suggest you don’t try this if a new weaver, however.